Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Pedometer Experiment

The Happiness Project talked about the importance of a list of goals that you figure will make you happier. One of the author's goals is to try to take 10,000 steps a day. (About 5 miles) So in a very slow attempt at making a list of goals, I decided to pursue this. So I bought a pedometer. I tried it for one day, and then I forgot the second day. But, I still have some thoughts on the matter. I think it's totally possible that I get more than 10,000 steps in a day, since we have stairs in our apartment, I walk around on Stanford campus a lot, and since I babysit a two year old. In fact, I think following the two year old for a few hours probably gives me more than half. I've also discovered some possibilities for error. Because the pedometer counts steps when it gets shaked, being on a bouncy bus - and all buses are bouncy - means that some fake steps get counted. And I've decided that jumping up and down with a two year old counts as steps... so I guess that's not error any more. But anyway I'm super excited about this project! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment